Welcome to Family Reader!
Read Fort Worth’s monthly newsletter is dedicated to families in our community. In each edition of Family Reader, we’ll pass on the latest news and tips from Fort Worth ISD and our friends across the city to support you and your kids!
Are you looking for a summer program for your child this summer that’s fun and makes learning fun?! Read Fort Worth has partnering with wonderful programs in our community for kids to help them learn before school starts again!
Please visit here for more info on those programs! Let’s make this the best summer ever for your kids!
Reading Tips of the Month!
- Designate a special reading area with books for sharing.
- Choose books with repetitive phrases.
- Point to different pictures and identify what you see.
- Encourage your child to “point and say” objects in the pictures.
- Let your child see you reading.
- Encourage your child to select a favorite book to read.
- Ask your child questions about the story.
- Recite or sing nursery rhymes from favorite rhyme collections.
- Keep a good selection of books in your home.
- Let your child read to you and with you.
- Talk about the story and how the pictures are part of the story.
- Stay aware of what your child likes to read.
Mayor’s Summer Reading Challenge fun for everyone!
Do you want to read and win prizes!? Do both today by signing up for the Fort Worth Mayor’s Summer Reading Challenge!!
The Fort Worth Public Library, Read Fort Worth and other friends want readers off all ages to read all summer long! Download a reading log with instructions today and start earning your way towards fun prizes.
The challenge begins in June and ends in August. Please visit FortWorthLibrary.org/SummerReading!
Sign up your kids for Pre-K & Kinder!
There is still time to sign up your child online for Pre-K and Kindergarten! FWISD’s Pre-K program is free and there is enough room for every child. Children go to school every day from 7:50 a.m. – 2:15 p.m. each day. Enroll today for the 2019-2020 school year at www.fwisd.org/prek.